Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First Step

Today is a major day as far as my surgery goes. I am attending a seminar my surgeon is conducting which will cover details of the surgery, prep and recovery time and financing. As it's about a two hour long seminar, I'm sure there is going to be more information passed along, but I will have to go over that later.

What I do know, however, is that there are two distinct types of surgery I am up for - Lapband and Roux en Y Gastric Bypass. Both have shown some promising evidence of success, but both still have glaringly important problems one needs to consider before actually committing to he surgery.

Lapband surgery is the current favorite in the advertising world, and I can certainly see why. There's just something appealing about its adjustability and potential for removal. I just don't know if the risks are worth it, though.

First of all, it's new. We have no real idea of what the long term affects of this thing might be. It's just too new. Some of the side affects it has shown so far include esophageal dysfunction, band slippage and the need for revision due to weight loss failure. Also, removal of the band can leave behind severe scarring which can really complicate future Gastric Bypass surgery should it be needed.

This method would definitely need consideration, but that statement would be true of Gastric Bypass as well. This method has its own perks to enjoy. Health risks like hypertension, diabetes and sleep apnea seem to be minimized, if not resolved. And of course, there's the all time favorite of losing up to a pound a day for the first 3 to 6 months. I like that one a lot.

There are side affects, GI ulcers and bowel obstructions accompanied by heavy vomiting are two. The percentage numbers for these are low which I'm thinking means the risk is low. I'm hoping to know more later.

This is an overview of thoughts and basic research that's been done thus far. This seminar I am attending today should fill in a few more blanks and answer some more questions. I will, of course, post more information here as it becomes available to me.

Actually, I'm not all that worried about the surgery. It's the cost of it that I'm freaking out about. I'm tempted to put up a paypal's button so I can beg people for money. Would anyone be interested in offering a couple of dollars here and there?

;)

No comments: